Friday, March 11, 2011

Wheelbuilder Aerojacket

There's no question that a disc is always the fastest option in the back for time trial riding.  On just about any course, except maybe the most mountainous of time trials, the aerodynamic benefits of a disc outweigh any weight penalty.  However, disc wheels are quite expensive, and even more expensive if you want a disc with a Powertap built into it (which was my problem).

Fortunately, Wheelbuilder.com's Aerojacket disc cover solves this disc dilema.  It's a really simple and inexpensive product ($89.95 plus shipping) and allows just about anybody to at least have the option of riding a disc.  You can order online or simply call Wheelbuilder and tell them the specifications of your rear wheel (they need to know the rim and hub type) and they will cut one of the disc covers to specifically fit your wheel.  The cover is lightweight plastic and will fit practically any wheel type.  I know lots of people who put one of these on just a simple, cheap box rim training wheel on race day and reap all the aerodynamic benefits of an expensive disc.

I got my disc cover from Wheelbuilder in the mail earlier this week and installed it today.  The cover comes with a set of 8 plastic fasteners that pass through small holes around the perimeter of the cover and hold it in place.  I originally installed it using these fasteners according to the included instructions.  Although this method worked pretty well, I noticed that the cover seemed to vibrate against my wheel a tiny bit as I took it for a spin around the neighborhood.  In order to solve this, I used a single strip of 3M Super 33 vinyl tape and ran it around the entire circumference of the cover on either side to create a nice smooth and "clean" seal.  It held so well, that I actually removed all of the fasteners, as they were not needed to hold the cover on.  I then took the wheel out for a hard 25 mile ride for the true product testing.  It was absolutely solid.  Even with hard, out of the saddle climbs at 700+ Watts, there was no movement whatsoever of the cover.  It felt as fast as the Renn 575 disc that I raced on prior to getting my Powertap.  And yes, it does even make the cool "whoosh, whoosh" sound of a normal disc wheel.  I really like the look of the vinyl tape to hold the cover on as opposed to the fasteners.  If I were to order another Aerojacket from Wheelbuilder, I think I would actually ask them not to drill the small holes around the perimeter for the fasteners and just use tape.

Overall, I think the Wheelbuilder Aerojacket is a fantastic product.  It is by far the cheapest way to get the aerodynamic benefits of riding a disc wheel. 

1 comment:

  1. great write up! I have been using one since this time last year, love it! not as stiff as a std disc so more forgiving for long course racing like I target. I am lazy, I dont tape it but hear it on ruff roads, I just tape near the valve cover thing.

    ReplyDelete